Who is Kienker Consulting?
Founded in 2016, Kienker Consulting is a southeastern Michigan-based philanthropic firm. As researchers and practitioners formerly based at the Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy, we bring world-class research and best practice to our clients.
Our core competencies include:
- Consulting: Collaborating with clients to better fulfill their mission and goals through content expertise and practitioner-oriented solutions.
- Philanthropic Services: Leveraging best practices in grantmaking and fundraising to bridge the financial and strategic needs of foundations and nonprofit organizations.
- Research: Utilizing world-class academic experience in philanthropic research and problem solving to best fit the unique, real-world challenges of our clients.
- Technical Assistance: Addressing short-form questions that arise for philanthropic organizations, allowing them to apply best practices and cutting-edge knowledge to their pressing situations.
- Southeastern Michigan-based philanthropic consulting firm.
- Experienced researchers formerly based at the Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy, focusing on foundations and nonprofit organizations.
- Member of the Council of Michigan Foundations’ Consulting Services Network.
- Full member of the National Network of Consultants to Grantmakers.
- Licensed professional fundraiser in the state of Michigan.
- Woman-owned consulting business serving Michigan foundations and nonprofits, based in the southeast Michigan area.
Meet the Team
Brittany Kienker, Ph.D.
Dr. Brittany Kienker brings over 10 years of experience in foundations, nonprofits, and higher education to her firm, Kienker Consulting LLC. She also serves as the lead researcher for Ask CMF, a technical assistance service of the Council of Michigan Foundations.
Through her collaboration with Dr. Eugene Tempel at the Indiana University Foundation and IU Lilly Family School of Philanthropy, Dr. Kienker consulted for philanthropic organizations globally, as well as developed nationally-recognized research, presentations, and publications on philanthropy, board governance, and best practices in the nonprofit sector, including on behalf of The Fund Raising School at Indiana University.
Throughout her career, Dr. Kienker has played an integral role in transformational strategic initiatives, leadership transitions, and implementation of best practices in philanthropy at such institutions as the Indiana University Foundation, Michigan Aerospace Foundation/Yankee Air Museum, St. Mary Mercy Hospital Foundation, The Henry Ford, and Anthem (formerly WellPoint) Foundation and Corporate Social Responsibility division.
She also serves as an adjunct professor in Central Michigan University’s Master of Science in Administration – Philanthropy and Fundraising program, having previously taught at the Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy. Additionally, she brings expertise in fundraising, foundation grantmaking, nonprofit management, strategic planning, organizational sustainability, corporate philanthropy, and communications. Dr. Kienker is a full member of the National Network of Consultants to Grantmakers and a member of the Council of Michigan Foundations’ Consulting Services Network.
Dr. Kienker received her Ph.D. in Philanthropic Studies from the Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy. She also earned a M.A. in Philanthropic Studies (Indiana University), M.A. in Public History (Indiana University), and B.A. in Public History (Western Michigan University).
Mr. James Kienker brings over 10 years of experience in foundations and nonprofits to his work at Kienker Consulting LLC. He currently serves as Grants Management Administrator for Trinity Health in Livonia, Michigan, where he manages national grants for the Community Health and Well-being department.
Throughout his career, Mr. Kienker has provided technical assistance to diverse nonprofits, foundations, and community development organizations, including through his previous roles with the LCMS National Housing Support Corporation, Indiana Historical Society, and the Anthem (formerly WellPoint) Foundation and Corporate Social Responsibility division. He has also published articles in Giving USA and presented at national conferences, focusing on best practices in philanthropy and fundraising, as well as program development and external partnerships. Additionally, he brings expertise in foundation grantmaking, nonprofit management, accounting and finance, communications and marketing, and web and technology-based solutions.
Mr. Kienker received his M.A. in Philanthropic Studies from the Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy. He also earned a M.B.A. and M.S. in Accounting from Western Governors University and a B.A. in History from Westminster College (Missouri).